5 Half – Baked Justifications Given For Avoiding Common Sense Public Health Behaviors!
No one, I meet, enjoys wearing a mask/ face covering, especially, on a regular basis, for any period of time! However, if one finds doing so, personally – challenging. imagine how he might feel, lying in a hospital Intensive Care Unit, wearing a respirator, etc, as part of the medical treatment for severe forms of COVID? Certainly, the public has heard mixed – messages, because, although, nearly all public health experts, state, wearing a mask, social spacing, and washing your hands, are, basic, common sense, preventive measures, for reducing the spread of this horrific virus, President Trump, and some of the characters, he surrounds himself with, articulated a message, often, minimizing these behaviors, and, even, referring to the pandemic, as a hoax, etc! Those, who, seem to be resisting these sensible actions, often, use, 5 half – baked justifications, for their reasons, and reasoning! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, review, examine, and discuss, these, and why, there are dangers, and ramifications, for others, because of their refusals to use common sense.
1. Tired of it/ Pandemic fatigue: Everyone is tired of this pandemic, and the associated restrictions, necessitated, for the greater good, and public health! While, in some areas, many still cooperate, and do, the right thing, there are a significant number, who, seem, to put their perceived comforts, and conveniences, ahead of the common good! Studies indicate, if more than 75% of the public, would proceed, accordingly, and wear a mask, social distance, avoid crowds, and wash/ sanitize their hands, consistently, the spread of the virus, would be reduced by more than 90%.
2. It’ll be OK: Some remain, apparently, in denial, and state, everything will be okay, seemingly, magically. Unfortunately, the reality is, we will only recover from this, when populist politics, and rhetoric, are replaced by, common sense, public health leadership, and direction!
3. Don’t like masks/ can’t wear them: Although, a very, small minority, actually, can’t wear masks, for a prolonged period, because of, some, serious, health issue, for most, who claim, they can’t, it’s a matter of them, putting their personal self – interest, ahead of the greater good!
4. Boredom: Everyone is feeling a sense of boredom, because, there is a significant reduction in dining, entertainment, and/ or, travel! Suck – it – up, and do the right thing! Stop making excuses!
5. Vaccine is coming: The good news is, it seems, several quality, effective vaccines, are presently, being produced! However, it will take several months, before, we achieve the equivalent of herd immunity, because, doing so, requires, at least 70% of the public, agreeing to take the vaccination! In the mean – time, common sense would direct us, to continue, doing the simple things, discussed, above, on a consistent, regular basis!
Stop complaining, and falsely, stating, doing so, and cooperating, is a restriction of your freedoms, and rights! Only, when common sense, and responsible behavior, becomes the path, followed, will we stop witnessing, all these horrific cases, and fatalities!