Natural Mineral Makeup – Advantages and Disadvantages
Recent years have seen a rise in the number of people using natural cosmetics, especially those switching to mineral makeup. The benefits of mineral makeup have been discussed far and wide, and the majority of women have at least tried them out once.
Mineral makeup is lightweight and hence a very good alternative to heavy conventional makeup types. While it is indeed true that mineral based makeup works wonders for most skin types, it may not really be suitable for everyone.
Let’s look at both sides of the coin, as there are advantages and disadvantages to every product in the market. While the benefits of using mineral makeup are far more than the disadvantages, it helps to be aware of both. This leads to being able to make an informed choice.
Advantages of Mineral Makeup
• Natural Base: Since mineral products are all based on ingredients found in the Earth’s core, they are all natural. Using any natural product as opposed to a chemical one has already been proven to be beneficial for skin. This makes mineral cosmetics the perfect choice for everyone.
• Lightweight and Non-Sticky: Since mineral makeup is powder based, and is lightweight, it does not lead to the heavily made-up look. The sheer coverage it provides helps your skin glow without having to pile too much makeup on it.
• Sunscreen Properties: Mineral products are natural and effective sunscreens, as the powder particles help deflect the rays of the sun. Contents like titanium oxide and iron oxide also act as effective sun protection, saving your skin from the harmful effects of sun exposure, like premature wrinkles and dark spots.
• Anti-Inflammatory Ingredients: Most mineral products contain an ingredient called zinc oxide, which is an excellent anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory agent. This very property of mineral based makeup makes it very safe to use for almost every skin type, especially for people who are allergic to chemical products.
Disadvantages of Mineral Makeup
• Different Brands, Different Ingredients: All brands of mineral cosmetics may not be suitable for people with sensitive skin, as some brands may sell products containing chemicals or preservatives. This could cause skin eruptions for certain people, so make sure you check the ingredients listed in the product before you buy it. Also, certain brands do not include sunscreen properties in their makeup range, so ensure that you pick a brand which guarantees the same.
• Higher Cost: Mineral cosmetic is normally more expensive than conventional makeup. While the benefits of mineral makeup definitely make it worth investing in, most of us may not be able to afford to switch over to this kind of makeup completely.